Designblok – Prague’s Design and Fashion Week, is the largest selection of design and fashion shows in Central Europe. The history of the festival dates back to 1999, when it was founded by Jana Zielinski and Jiří Macek , Director of the organising agency Profil Media. Designblok traditionally shows a selection of works of designers and manufacturers from all over Europe, represents new prestigious brands and prototypes of young up-and-comers as well as already established designers and design studios. Designblok is annually attended by over 200 exhibitors in the main area of Designblok, which consists of three areas: Superstudio, Openstudio and Art House. In addition to the central festival space numerous galleries, showrooms and pop -up shops open throughout Prague and prepare a special program for design and fashion oriented visitors. Designblok annually attracts more than 50,000 visitors of all ages from the Czech Republic and abroad.
A quick look at the festival program already tells how vast and variable the presentation this year is. Three days of interesting, cutting-edge exhibitions, talks, shows and events, simply too many to list here, so I did the tiering task of browsing through it (here) and hand picking six things that peeked my interest the most! Check out Designblok facebook page for up to date information.
(1) Diploma Selection – The finalists come from 13 European countries, including Netherlands, Spain, Hungary, Poland, Bulgaria, Italy, Wallonia-Brussels and Lithuania. Israel will take part as a guest country from outside the European Union. The finalists will include fashion designer Danial Aitouganov who won the Lichting competition for the best Dutch graduate students in fashion design.
(2) The second sex – vol. II fashion Show – Winner of Dutch Lichting show Danial Aitouganov brings to Prague his collection “The second sex – vol. II.” based on the idea of a forth feminist wave; a generation of women who with the right manner fight for their right. Don´t miss his fashion show on Saturday!
(3) SOFFA – Our favourite Czec design magazine/collective will feature NAUT FOR SOFFA, an embroidered backpack in a limited edition, launch their new SOFFA 17 calendar as well as their new City Cycle Collection – designer apparel and accessories for city cyclists. The collection was designed for SOFFA by members of our platform Mindtravellers.net.
(4) Arihiro Miyake Lecture – “It is seductive and gracious. You will not be able to take your mind off it. You will long for it.” says designer Arihiro Miyake about his Coppélia by Moooi. Come and discuss with him 28.10. at Reflex Stage.
(5) Voala – Graphic design studio Vioala will is representing with their new paper collection COSMIC, at the Open studio venue.
(6) Superstudio – Every year the program Designblok offers something for families with children as well. Installation focused on children’s furniture and toys can be found in Superstudio and Openstudio. Small visitors will be happy about the folding birdhouses and other interactive installations, including an experiential landscape, which includes an area in the form of a giant pine cones, swings, table tennis and a tower.